View Single Post
Old 05-02-2012, 09:41 AM
Steve Birmingham

Being in a few hobbies gives me a look at how things get done with other stuff.

The internet is big, putting the show info out there on boards and mailing lists makes a big difference. With the old bicycle crowd it's almost the only advertising. Our local show was run by a 10 speed guy for years, but he moved away and it;s now done by a baloon tire guy.(Think like the difference between prewar and 50's collectors) And advertised in different places. Totally different crowd.

The local stamp shows are either very regular, or advertised well. Ads in hobby publications, online and as Rich says some dealers send out postcards before the show. There's a big show this weekend, and I've gotten 3 different postcards plus 3-4 Emails. The show as far as I know does little advertising otherwise. The signs by the highway are maybe a couple feet square, and a little a frame sign at the end of the street the hotel is on.

Steve B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Klein View Post
I agree 100 percent; there is no reason that internet is a great way to go. Inexpensive as you are already paying for your web site....

Make sure on the CSA web site (if there is an easy way to people to join your mailing list. I just went to the CSA web site, and in a word, it was a terrible site.

Roger Neufeldt sends out postcards every time he does either a show or his one-man shows in the DFW area. Those postcards are a small cost out of pocket to bring in people just to see him. I guarantee you that investment is well worth the cost for him.

One of the other issues with the hobby today, is that we do not really have central points as we did 20 years ago. There is little doubt that Beckett and F&W (Krause( are not what they were in 1992. In those days, they were the central points to get out news about the hobby. Now, there is more information available but less structure as to how to get the news out. But there are always people who want to go that don't know and find out by accident.

Shoot, in 1984, before the Parsappany National, there were actually quite a few collectors I remember meeting in North Jersey who had no idea the event would be taking place. And these were people who liked cards and were interested at the time.

Dan brought up a good point as to why prices seem to be "museum" like, when you figure out your out of pocket costs before you sell a card. there has to be some profit factor brought in. The issue becomes, the profit factor versus what people can now find on line similar cards to.

And let's face it, shows are not what thwy were as many of us don't see the need to go out anymore. Instead we sit at home and buy/sell/trade cards. But without decent shows and stores, I always worry about where the newer collectors will find us

Rich