View Single Post
Old 07-11-2017, 08:26 PM
Fr3d mcKi3

Default T206 Wagner reoffered???

Hey all

For those of you unaware, Phillies pitcher Pat Neshak is a card/autograph collector. He JUST finished pitching a scoreless inning in the All Star game.

In today's Philadelphia Inquirer there was an article about him in which it says he was the underbidder on the recent T206 Wagner that was in the Memory Lane auction that sold for $600,000.

You can read the entire article here:http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/...-20170710.html

But here is the pertinent info:

Neshek the collector

Neshek hopes to leave the All-Star Game with an autograph from Zack Greinke, one of the players he has had trouble scoring a signature from. If Neshek comes up short, it will be the second time this year that the avid collector is left disappointed when trying to secure an elusive piece of memorabilia.

Neshek was the runner-up earlier this year for a 1909 T206 Honus Wagner card, perhaps the most famous baseball card in history. The winning bid was $600,000. Neshek’s bid was $10,000 less.

“I came really close and it was a really crappy one. It was graded a ‘one,’ ” Neshek said. “I got called after and was like ‘Hey, do you want to pay this for it?’ ‘Nope.’ ”

Greinke, a historically tough autograph to find, was not at Monday afternoon’s All-Star Media Day so Neshek didn’t have a chance to ask him. Neshek planned to hunt him down during the Home Run Derby. He tried to land Greinke’s signature last month when the Diamondbacks visited by sending over cards with a clubhouse attendant, a routine Neshek does with almost every visiting team. The request was denied.

“I feel like it’s going to go ‘Hey, why don’t you sign for me?’ ‘Because I don’t want to sign.’ ‘OK. Bye,’ ” Neshek said.

The line that caught my eye was he said he got a call AFTER and was asked if he wanted to buy it for a certain price. He declined.

My question is, is this a common occurance where an auction company reaches out to an underbidder to reoffer a lot at a higher price?

I have to assume it was the auction company who called him as the winning bidder would not know who the underbidder was.

Thoughts?