View Single Post
Old 04-05-2019, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post

1963 Post - [Base] #15 - Mickey Mantle [Poor]
Courtesy of COMC.com

Here's my latest pickup (only $33), and a good question. Why is the 1963 Post Mantle so much rarer than the 1963 Jell-O? This is the first Post that COMC has had in 10 years, compared to about 20 of the Jell-O in the same timeframe.
https://www.comc.com/Cards,sr,=1963+...mantle,ot,i100

Only 6 Posts on the PSA Auction Prices Realized, and even Auth ones have sold for $267 in the past.

https://www.psacard.com/auctionprice.../values/654430

Usually the Post cards are much more prevalent, for other players. Did Post just screw up and put The Mick on a low selling cereal or was he short-printed that year? Was there a hoarder at one time, who cleared the market in the 80s/90s?
Good afternoon, John. Congratulations upon your acquiring one of the tougher Mickey Mantles. I devoted chapter 15 of my book on immediate post-war regional / food issues to this very question. Both Mantle and Roger Maris are exceedingly difficult in the 1963 Post Cereal set, whereas their respective JELL-O cards are easy-weezy.

Would you care to purchase a copy of NEVER CHEAPER BY THE DOZEN to see what I had to say about it? Of course, it would cost you $30 postpaid, a mere three bucks less than you paid for your Mick. That would kinda sting. Being an honest man, I have to say your guess is correct---Mr. Mantle was printed on a very, very, very non-kid cereal.

Regardless of what you decide, nice pick-up.

For what it's worth, bro, when I attended the major shows I was privileged to attend from 1972 - 1977, I collected regional - food, Topps test issues, and other superstars. Mickey's beautiful 1962 Post Cereal was "all over the place"; however, his elegant 1963 Post I say a whopping one time! I failed to bag it then, as my funds were running low by the time I spotted it. I had to wait 25 long years 'til '98-'99 to win one in a Mastro Fine Sports Auction. It was a regal graded beauty, and worth the wait!

Hope I didn't bore you. Have a swell day and thanks for sharing with us.

---Brian Powell

P.S. --- John, I neglected to mention the title of that fifteenth chapter: Now You See Them, Now You Don't ---- 1963 Post Cereal Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle

Last edited by brian1961; 04-05-2019 at 11:01 PM.