View Single Post
Old 11-09-2007, 08:33 PM
Administrator

Default 1930 Ray-O-Print -Why'd these go so cheap?

Posted By: Matt

And I quote the esteemed David Cycleback:

QUESTION: I have heard that some of the Ray O Prints Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig are reprints. Are you aware of this?

ANSWER: I advise care, though not paranoia, when purchasing one of these items.

The circa 1930 Ray O Prints were sold as little photographic kit that allowed a kid to make his or her own photograph of a famous American. The kid would receive a photographic negative and a snapshot sized piece of photographic paper. The resulting photo would be of a famous American. Subjects included Ruth and Gehrig, boxer Jack Dempsy, Herbert Hoover and Charles Lindbergh. The photos, which resemble blank backed trading cards, are check listed in the Standard Catalog of Baseball cards.

The problem is that in modern times someone can take the original negative and make modern versions of the photos. All it takes is more photographic paper. It has long been rumored that many of the Ray of Prints on the market are modern versions. I have not seen a Ray O Print in person in several years, so am offering here nothing more than my impressions. I have seen an inordinate number of high grade Ray O Prints for sale— which, at least, raises an eyebrow. As someone who specializes in 20th century photographs, I can tell you that Mint Pre-WWII photographs are as common as hen’s teeth. I own thousands of photographs and not a single one is in Mint condition.

The collector or dealer experienced with vintage photographs should not have difficulty distinguishing between vintage and modern versions. In particular, the vintage versions will often have distinct signs of aging (possibly including silvering to the image) that won’t appear on a modern version. A quick shine of a black light will identify many modern versions.

The beginning collector’s best bet is to buy a Ray O Print when the original kit, including negative, comes with it. From a straight collecting standpoint, it would be neat to have the entire kit anyway.