View Single Post
Old 07-01-2012, 10:56 AM
Hank Thomas

Quote:
Originally Posted by travrosty View Post
why does every card need to be in a holder? i am on sgc side.

its not their job to research and catalogue cards, they slab them as authentic.

why should they go out and spend countless hours researching and testing paper, etc.? that's not their job. if its a known issue, they should slab it, but if its not, its up to the collector to prove it, then they can slab it, another reason why cards dont need to be slabbed in the first place. because slabbing doesnt make it real, and not slabbing it doesnt make it fake. it's either real or not irregardless.
I'm with you 100% on slabbing, I could do without it altogether. Authentication (exposing trimming, etc), on the other hand, is useful for exposing fraud. But the market has spoken--slabbed gets better prices than unslabbed--so from that standpoint I would like to get my card slabbed. It's your second point that doesn't make sense to me. Let's see, when a TPA is presented with a nice-looking T206 Wagner, they don't have to "spend countless hours researching and testing paper, etc. If it's a known issue, they should slab it." Really? All they need is the fact that that this is a known issue? Of course not. In fact, that's the least of their considerations. They will look at everything else about this card--the paper, the ink, the edges, the age, everything that forensically confirms that this card was actually made in 1910 or thereabouts. So why can't they just do the same with my card, and verify that it is indeed from that period, which it so clearly is? Why do they need another example, which might not exist, to compare it to? A forger with any brains isn't going to go to the trouble to create a new design that nobody's ever seen before, he's going to use the template of a known and desirable issue and try to create a passable forgery with all the aging and other techniques at his disposal. I'm not getting the logic here.