View Single Post
Old 09-06-2023, 02:08 AM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Quote:
Originally Posted by epike3 View Post
Interesting that you have seen a couple other So Crispo backs; so there are a few others out there! I am guessing there are not enough survivors to make a few set but probably that will forever remain an unsolved mystery .

I was wondering there were any changes between the ?E229? sheet and the regular cards but neither you I haven't spotted any - would love to see the Smithson card without his hand covered over by the printer!
It’s been a long time so I got out my notebooks. The So Crispo’s were 2 in number instead of 3, Flanagan and Trubenbach, that’s the names I recorded in my notebook. Gentleman who had them had a huge caramel and bread card collection (I don’t think he collected anything else), no attention to condition but just a really awesome accumulation of E and D cards with some really rare stuff I’d never seen before. He let me poke through his collection for a day and take notes. I don’t think I even knew So Crispo existed at all before that. He unfortunately passed away a couple years ago.

I would doubt there are 25 surviving So Crispo examples to make a full set. But then again, none of us would have predicted we’d find these sheets. A lot of the fun, for me at least, comes in these finds of unexpected material. Acquire them or not, it’s really cool to see what surfaces and what the next amazing discovery is. Maybe someone will uncover a box of So Crispo’s in a Scranton attic somewhere for us to marvel at. These must have been issued in incredibly small quantities originally.

Can I ask who is on the front of your So Crispo, just out of curiosity?