View Single Post
Old 01-22-2019, 06:55 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat View Post
If 76 calbee isn t the hardest set of the decade, what is?
One could make the argument that the 1973 set is harder. On the one hand it has way fewer cards (368). And like the 75-76 set it has some really hard to find regional issues, which seem to be slightly rarer but not too much so.

But I think more people are collecting that one, partly because it is a more realistic project (due to the fewer cards) and partly because it is more "iconic" being the first Calbee set and featuring some famous cards, like Nagashima's card #1 which is sort of the Japanese version of a 52 Mantle. The result is that even though I think the 73s are probably only slightly rarer than the 75-76s (and that would vary a lot depending on the series), the prices are way higher, especially for the rare regional issues.

I was able to score the 9 Hiroshima regional issues for the 75-76 set at 1,000 Yen each for example, but that I think was just because I lucked out since nobody else happened to be looking for them at the same time. When 1973 rarities go up for auction on the other hand, everyone pays attention and the prices go way higher. You'll never get your hands on those for 1000 Yen each (unless of course they are real beaters or something).