View Single Post
Old 03-20-2016, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scocs View Post
Brian,

You make excellent points. I still don't understand why the dealer has to place them on eBay? I realize the answer is "maximum exposure" leading to a potential private sale without all those pesky buyer and seller fees.

Still, if you owned the Hope Diamond, would you list it on eBay with a Buy it Now for $75 million dollars...? It's like Kate Upton using Match. com for a date....

Scott
Scott, you yourself have brought up a most valid point, concerning the dealer listing the remainder of the Lucky 7 Find on eBay. It is difficult to pin down his modus operandi for the remaining few specimens, though I would think the EBAY people would take an extremely dim view of said dealer using their services as a high-powered spotlight to attract buyers, then steer clear of the Bay to actually do the deal, thus eliminating EBAY's rightful, though increasingly high middle man percentage fee. Since the Lucky 7 is a major hobby find, and national news item, if word gets out that sales were consummated apart from EBAY, after they were known to be listed, the Bay may have the last say---and tie a 10,000-pound boulder to the dealer's eBay business, and drown him where their BAY is concerned.

I well remember an incident soon after Dale Earnhardt was tragically killed in the 2001 Daytona 500. This guy where I worked had an absolutely BANZAI Earnhardt collection. He listed the whole thing on eBay, "just to see what kind of action he would get". I heard the collection had gone past $14,000, when this guy took it down. The EBAY watchdogs were boiling, and told him if he ever pulled a trick like that again, he would be banned from eBay for life. I do not know what became of that character, as I got laid off the job a couple years later, but in retrospect, if he really intended to eventually sell his Dale Earnhardt collection, THAT was the time to do so. I think he blew it, but no doubt his collection had a very strong emotional attachment to him.

As Moe Howard said in "THREE LITTLE PIRATES", "We shall see, but we shall see." ---Brian Powell

Last edited by brian1961; 03-20-2016 at 11:17 PM.