View Single Post
Old 06-14-2023, 04:22 PM

Default 1966 Topps Rub Offs

I think I posted something like this a number of years ago, but I wanted to try again to see what the current thinking is.

I am putting together a set of these flimsy inserts, and although I was told years ago on these boards that there are no known rarities, I am here to say that something is up with the Reds pennant.

I put together my first 1966 set about 10 years ago, and never did find the Reds Pennant at the time to complete the insert set.

Sold the set a few years later, but kept the rub offs for some reason. Fast forward to today and I am almost done building the set again, and am again trying to find the Reds pennant.

Since the spring, I have only seen one come up on eBay, none seem to be on other sites like COMC, Beckett or Sportslots, and even Deans doesn't have any and, for all his high prices, he usually has everything in stock.

So my question is this - is the Reds pennant possibly a true short-print from this set? I've seen a huge roll of uncut rub offs on eBay occasionally - I have no idea if anyone here has ever seen such a roll to do a check for scarcities.

Because of the way they were printed, it seems, there doesn't seem to be much case to be made for any short-prints, but I'm telling you - something is up with that Reds pennant!

Any ideas or experiences would be appreciated.