View Single Post
Old 07-14-2007, 02:57 AM
Administrator

Default Second July Pickups Thread

Posted By: DMcD

Rob: I thought the 30 grade was severe, too. According to their website, one SGC criterion for a 30 is "usually exhibits one or more of these characteristics: heavy print spots, heavy crease(s), pinhole(s), color or focus imperfections or discoloration, surface scuffing or tear, rounded and/or fraying corners, ink or pencil marking(s), and lack of all or some original gloss." The Carter CJ Matty exhibits none of these flaws except rounded corners. SGC 40 requires that corner rounding not be excessive; I guess the SGC stormtrooper thought the corners were too round for a 40. According to Mastro the card reveals "corner and edge faults consistent with its grade" (who am I to argue?) and "reflects technically ascribed Good condition with an uncommonly superior overall aesthetic" which I think is Mastroese for the card is nicer than the grade. The couple of other 1914 CJ Mattys that I have seen of late at auction have had alot of staining and little bite marks. For me this card oozes eye-appeal, low grade or not. Those rounded corners don't bother me one bit. I am glad it wasn't graded higher because the zillionaires would have blown me into the ditch.

Cat: I also won an 8x10 photo of Joe Louis ("To a good fighter from a lucky one"). That accounts for the width and length of the box. And I won a ball signed by Diz and Pee Wee. That accounts for the height. BTW, looks like the FedEx Man was kind to you, too.