View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 12:08 PM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Peter - it actually makes sense. I doubt any Wagner cards actually made it into production. If there are only 50-100 in existence, how many were printed? Did they print a few dozen sheets, release them into production (put them in packs), then send the representative to broker a deal with Wagner? I doubt it. If they were going to do that, they would have printed many more cards first. I think they knew selling Wagner was going to be tough (for reasons unknown to us), so they never released those sheets. Most of them, if not all, were hand-cut, resulting in all the jumbos (and former jumbos) that we see now, and they ended up in the hands of employees and friends. In other words, they had the production process ready in case he said 'yes', but he didn't.
Scott I disagree with you here, Wagner and Plank in the Sweet Cap most likely made it into production in some shape or form.

The fact that so few survived is not a good indication of did something go into production or not. We have tons of cards that are way more obscure and in less numbers than the T206 Wagner that we know were put into production and distribution J=K Candy Cards, T208 Fireside, E221, T215 Pirate the list could go on and on.

The Jumbo oversized is combo of two things IMO. One more of these cards have been tucked away in long time older collections and hacked less. Two back in the day oversized T206’s were common place I had finds of thousands of cards and held and bought many more. Back in those days raw super sized cards with big borders top and bottom sometimes both were very common.

In fact old school collectors use to trim the bottoms of these cards to fit them in the early sheets ughh like my old Magie that I sold to a board member.

Why do you not see many of these “jumbo” T206’s today? Where did many of these super sized T206’s go you ask?Just check your PSA set reg for the many PSA8’s and 9’s sad but true big bordered T206’s are like the white rhino of the card world along with others.

Just my two cents but what do I know I’m a hack and I don’t even have a website.

Cheers,

John

P.S. I see nothing wrong with what Legendary did in giving provenance and background calling out a significant auction of a special card. It happens in the art world all the time. They did a very good job of giving good info for the potential buyers while being respectful of current owners IMO.

Last edited by wonkaticket; 12-28-2011 at 12:10 PM.