View Single Post
Old 04-20-2018, 11:00 AM
Todd Schultz

I disagree. Whatever the effect is supposed to be under current law, it will cause chaos to put this onus on internet sellers--at least the small to medium ones. You will not be able to simply buy a $50 software package that neatly calculates all applicable sales taxes, which I assume would or could be not only state but county and/or municipal sales tax. As pointed out in oral argument, some goods sold may be subject to different tax or no tax depending upon their classification, which might be subject to interpretation. Jurisdictions can pass special tax laws at all different times, meaning the software would need to be able to track changes nearly on the fly. Sellers in theory could also be subject to audit and the jurisdiction of far away authorities who believe they are being shorted.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.

Last edited by nolemmings; 04-20-2018 at 11:04 AM.