View Single Post
Old 09-26-2013, 10:32 AM
Mike Blai$dell

Default 1967 Amoco (Super Pro) stamps

American Oil (AMOCO) ran a series of sweepstakes promotions in the late 1960’s (1966, 1967, 1968) giving away various prizes including cash and Ford Mustang’s.

The “Super Pro” stamps were produced in 1967 by Glendinning Companies and distributed by the American Oil Company as game pieces at participating service stations. I would classify this as a nation-wide issue rather than regional.

They were issued in panels of 3 stamps and could include players, service award stamps (2 versions), or one of four Ford automobiles. The panels are identified with a letter (A through P) and some stamps can be found on more than one panel. There is also a stamp “savor” sheet, which also included the rules of the sweepstakes.

I have panels A, B, D, E, F, H, J, K, M, P – Panels C, G, I, L, N, O most likely had the winning stamps.

The “winning” or chase stamps were Tommy Nobis ($1.00), Fran Tarkenton ($5.00), Johnny Unitas ($25), Gale Sayers ($100) and Wayne Walker (Ford Mustang). Stamps, panels and the saver sheets do show up on ebay from time to time. Since you had to turn in the stamps to claim your prize, they can be challenging to find. The “winning stamps” would be very rare and are not considered part of the "complete" set.

Hope this helps!
Mike