View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 04:15 PM
Dan Bretta

My son (8 years old) has almost no interest in baseball collectibles even though he has played for 4 years, begs me to play catch 9 months out of the year (my arm is still sore), and is surrounded by it all over our house. I used to take him with me to the local card store hoping he would buy some baseball cards, but he always bought a pack or two of Pokemon or Magic cards...I tried to convince him that he could buy an entire box of 1990 Fleer baseball cards for the same price as two packs of Magic cards and he never would go for it. I take him to minor league games and he has no interest in getting autographs of the players. I had been buying him a Topps baseball factory set every year since he was born..this year was the first year I didn't do that. I didn't think he'd notice but he did which made me a smile.

I agree with Jim that there is a collector gene...both my mother and father had it and passed it on to me. My wife doesn't collect anything, and I tried in the past to get her interested in a hobby, but she just doesn't care...I think she passed her genes on to my son, which is good in the looks department so he has that going for him.