View Single Post
Old 02-13-2019, 09:09 AM
Tim Hadley
Tim Ha.dley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D. View Post
It's not really "make money" as much as it's "make some of it back".

I've actually never had any cards graded. The whole "hoping for 10's" things is a bit too much like gambling for me. Looking at population reports for '89 Donruss on PSA, looks like many have tried the same and gotten burned.

That last part sounds mildly depressing. I guess the fact that I open stuff makes me a "hobbiest"
I just picked up a case of 1989 Donruss wax last weekend and had fun ripping it open. If your luck was anything like mine, there would have been no Griffs worth grading. Not one was remotely close to being centered. That being said, it's not the only money card in the set if graded. The Schillings are now going for $50-65 in PSA 10, I believe in anticipation of him possibly getting into the Hall next year. I'm sending in about 15-20 of the cards in a bulk sub but I am being overly picky on what I'm sending.
Even if you don't send in anything for grading, pick the most centered, sharpest cards(best to use maginfication) and just put them back, you...or your son may want to send them in for grading one day!
Best of luck/fun in your rips and thanks for sharing!