View Single Post
Old 12-05-2011, 01:42 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedinBlue View Post
I also think that some of the recent minor stars like Steve Garvey, Dave Parker and Dale Murphy would bump up. Guys like me who grew up remembering how great these guys were in their era would more actively collect them.
Supply and demand.. One a player gets into the Hall, his card instantly becomes desirable to a much larger crowd. Supply stays the same/demand goes up.

There's different types of collectors...Set collectors, team collectors, player collectors, star collectors, hof collectors....so on and so on... Currently a player like Garvey is typically only collected by set collectors, Dodgers collectors, star collectors, and other Garvey fans outside of those categories...Hypothetically, pretending all categories of collectors were on even footing. If he were to make the Hall, his collectability would go up by 25%, and I'd say it's safe to assume his value would follow accordingly..

This theory goes out the window with guys like Hodges...Many, many people expect him to get in someday, so he is already speculatively collected by many HOF collectors. Therefore, if he were to get in, his price wouldn't be effected in terms of percentage of value increase by as much..

And percentages may go up with a small market player who unexpectedly get the nod.. Theoretically, let's pretend that Albert Belle or Larry Walker get in someday(I know, just roll with it), the demand for their items would possibly double..