View Single Post
Old 06-21-2018, 03:42 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by that T206 Guy View Post
I only buy Originals that are in the Original Style Flip (from the 1990's) with the Rounded Corners.

Just Common Cards.
- PSA 7 and PSA 8 From the 1940's and 1950's of Common Players
- 1909 T206 in PSA 1-7 of Common Players
- Stuff Like that
You need to try and get over the OCD on style of flip, and just focus on the cards inside. While I'm sure there will always be some in the old flips, certainly most of the Hall of Famers are probably in new flips by now. Consider those "bonus finds" - not requirements.

There are tons of T206 commons, several dealers where that will be most of what they have to sell. There will also be some 1940/1950 commons graded, but those will probably be a little tougher to locate. Again, you'll have some folks that have stacks of them.

Prices will normally be marked high, but if you're paying in cash and buying in somewhat bulk, you can usually get them down to reasonable. Everyone knows what VCP is, you'll just have to wade through all the "great eye appeal for the grade" talk.

Yes, some dealers try to bake in the table cost, but if you use the 10-12% eBay fee as the baseline, I've found most of the sellers will split that with you. For the sellers, if they can just get eBay price that's better, so don't just settle for it. Most dealers mark up to have room to wiggle.

Don't worry about all the deals being gone on Tuesday or to the VIPs. I do the VIP just because I'm usually there for a few days anyway and don't like to stand in line, but I've been to the past three Nationals (and three others before that) and every time I've found things at good prices at different times during the show. Two years ago, got my best deals halfway through Thursday. Last year I was shut out Wed/Thurs, but then ran out of money around noon Friday. You never know when you're going to find something, and new cards walk into the show every day.

It will be overwhelming, so just be ready for that. I usually have a list with prices so I can move quickly, ask questions when I see something and negotiate as quickly as I can if it's just buying. If the seller won't get in your range, just move on to the next table. If you spend even a minute at every table in the show, you won't see everything on the first day.

I also take notes of booth numbers, especially if something is priced a little too high. I'll go back later and if it's still there, I might then start a conversation.

If you see something you like that is priced fair, I would tell you to go ahead and buy it then because it probably won't be there later. Common cards that's probably not as true, but with stars/Hall of Famers it definitely has been my experience.

Good luck