Thread: June Pickups
View Single Post
Old 06-07-2014, 03:15 PM
M@rk Cl@ry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Garner View Post
I suppose that I could have posted this in the autograph section just as easily, but I think it fits this thread the best.

I'm glad to add this vintage signed HOF Gaylord Perry no-hitter ticket stub from September 17th, 1968. I purchased it from net54 newer member Scott Murphy in the BST. FYI, Scott is a nice guy and a pleasure to deal with.

The ticket arrived today and there was an added surprise. Here is the 1969 SF Giants letter that accompanied the ticket when it was returned signed and personalized to the lucky patron named "Mike" that attended the game. Apparently Mike had sent his ticket stub from the game to the Giants and asked if it would be possible to get Gaylord Perry to sign it.

Perry's no-hitter was noteworthy in that he was one of the few pitchers in 1968 that bested fellow HOF pitcher Bob Gibson. 1968 was dubbed the "year of the pitcher" by many in baseball and Gibson's amazing 1.12 ERA in '68 was one of the major reasons that the mound height was lowered beginning in 1969, again returning some of the balance of power to the hitter.

Many thanks to Scott for allowing me to add this to my no-hit ticket collection.
Very cool Scott. Did he sign it "Gay"? I've never seen that before.