View Single Post
Old 10-28-2018, 10:01 AM
Mike

Default Good Questions, Ted

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Mike

Your.... T207 - "basic backs" and general overview is a great reference....thanks for sharing it with us.

Having completed this set years ago (when it was inexpensive), I have always felt that it was not produced
by American Lithographic (as have the majority of the tobacco sets of that era).

But, I have not been able to back up my contention by discovering what printing firm produced these cards.

What is your thinking as to where these cards were printed ?

TED Z

T206 Reference
Thank you, Ted!

I haven't had much time to devote towards research on the question, so I'll just say that I feel that enough evidence is available from the cards themselves, and with what is known of the shake-ups in the industry imposed by the ATC breakup I think things would have been different or had to change quickly out of necessity. Whether the work was done at ALC, or started and completed at a subsidiary firm or even transitioned to another lithographer in mid-stream we don't know, but finding documentation that sheds more light would be great.

I'm taking a stab at writing the other thread alluded to in the referenced post, suggested as 'Poses, artwork, ...' and will be that, but also an amalgamation of other T207 questions, mysteries, ... including this production one. It will probably be fairly dry and too long for one post, but we'll see.

For what it is worth, I also feel that your ideas about legal issues that kept certain players (or teams) out of various sets predating T207 (the T vs. E-card/Boston issue?) may also rear its ugly head here ... as there are funny distributions of teams across the various 'print runs' as far as that goes for this set. I'll follow up with you on that.

--
Mike