View Single Post
Old 12-11-2006, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Default About soaking cards

Posted By: Frank Wakefield

That is how little children do it... they just pretend something isn't there...

Do you do that with your eyes closed, Jim??? That is how little kids do it.

Maybe try pretending that cards are not, nor have they ever been soaked.

Reminds me of a story from when I was out campaigning door to door. I was out in the country, trying to knock on doors and ask for support. At one house there was a sign, "Free Republican Puppies" painted on a piece of plywood. I pulled up the gravel drive and knocked on the door, no one was home. Well, I couldn't let that house go unsolicited. Neighbors might mention I was out in that part of the county, and those folks would feel like I didn't stop to see them, possibly costing votes. So after a few weeks I went back out to that one house. I was in luck. A car and a pickup truck, both in the drive. And the plywood sign still leaned against a tree, but it had been repainted. "For Sale, $5 each, good Democratic Puppies". I knocked on the door, and had a nice conversation with both husband and wife. As I left the porch steps I could see that sign, so I turned and asked them about the puppies. Yes, they still had two, five dollars each. I asked about the puppies they had a few weeks earlier, and both husband and wife assured me they were the same puppies. Why did the puppies change party, why free before and now $5, what was the difference I asked.... "Oh, they have their eyes open now."