View Single Post
Old 10-30-2019, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duluth Eskimo View Post
Sounds good. I hope for you it is good. It’s about as clean as you can expect to find. I feel like I saw it recently so I assume it was in one of the auctions. Hopefully more will chime in and I’m happy to be wrong, but there are things I don’t like.

Ps: I will add that I don’t like the E’s in sincerely. Doesn’t mean anything, but that’s one of the things I don’t like.
I got it off Ebay.. Seller had it listed for $1700.. Was able to find more info today...

So today, I was able to track down some information regarding this Ruth..
My seller obtained it from a Russo and Steele auction in Monterey CA in August of 2017. He claims he paid $950 for the item. Russo and Steele primarily sell exotic and classic (expensive) cars at auction. Often times through my research I have found that they will auction off around 30 items of prominent memorabilia before they start auctioning off the vehicles. Which included in these auctions are the likes of the Beatles, this Babe Ruth, Lou Gherig, and even Marilyn Monroe's worn bra.. LOL.... This is kind of a warm up act before the cars... So you have car collectors buying and bidding on the items. Kind of the wrong audience.
I was able to find through additional research that these items are bought in advance of the auction at cost or close to retail cost of the memorabilia. And then offered at no reserve at the auto auction in Monterey yearly in August. (I am guessing that because they are making so much on the price of the auto auction, they care less about losing a few hundred on prominent memorabilia) Which is collaborated with what my seller told me that he bought it on auction in Monterey with a 15% buyers fee which is listed on Russo and Steele's website.
I was able to track it down to the store who sold it the Ruth to the auction house. They advised based on photos that the seller has never removed it from their packaging when they sold the item. They said they were able to date the post card based on the reverse side to the 1930's and they dated the ink to the time period. They purchased it from a family member of a decedents collection. This gentleman collected and sent off for sports autographs, they said he also had a signed post card from Lefty Grove in the collection. I have no clue who that is to be honest.
I was surprised to be able to track down that much information on it today.