View Single Post
Old 03-17-2010, 09:58 PM
Donny Muth

Default Darryl Strawberry

I started collecting baseball cards in 1985 with a few packs of '85 Fleer. One of the first good cards I got was Darryl Strawberry. I started watching the Mets with my dad hoping to see Strawberry get a hit or make a good catch. He soon became my favorite player and I worked to get as many of his cards as possible. It didn't seem like it was too long before the drug abuse and other problems surfaced and left me without a baseball idol and role model.

I hadn't thought much about Strawberry in what seemed like forever.

Then I saw a commercial on TV yesterday for NBC and I thought I saw Strawberry!

I just checked out the web and sure enough he's set to be a contestant on The Apprentice. I read his bio on the show's site and it sounds like he has turned himself around and is doing good for the community.

Maybe I'll break out my old album, dust his cards off, and see which ones I'm missing still. It's kind of nice to not wince when I hear his name.

Hopefully, the bio is accurate and true and I no longer have to feel like I got shafted being a Darryl Strawberry fan.