View Single Post
Old 12-18-2006, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Default Ex-Ball Players as Family

Posted By: Fred Y

Boy!!--What a memory you have!!

I'm amazed to get a reply about Mort, thinking nobody would have ever heard of him!! Then again--NOTHING surprises me when it comes the the scope of people who frequent this Board!!

The Babe Ruth story is TRUE--I saw pictures & newspaper article about that EXACT incident in the scrapbook I mentioned above!!

One picture was taken of the Babe at homeplate just after Mort hit him w/ the pitch--he was holding his wrist/arm in obvious pain. Babe went to 1st base, but was then removed from the game for a pinch runner. The next batter was Lou Gehrig--and you guessed it---He took it outta' the park for a 2-run HR!!

I think Mort faced one more batter--gave up a double and was removed from the game!

Mort's father (my Grandpa's brother) owned a tavern for many years in Canisteo NY and Mort also worked there and became owner when his father died--I was in it many times as a kid!!

We (my family) lived in Wellsville NY (smallest town in the US to support Professional BB)-- in the old Class D PONY League--which was only 20 or so miles from the tavern!

Would LOVE to get ahold of that book!!

Thanks alot for your post, Tom!!

PS---If I recall correctly the tavern was simply called "Flohr's Bar" or "Flohr's"!