View Single Post
Old 11-30-2013, 03:29 AM
Bill Gregory

Welcome aboard, Greg! You've got some very nice cards to start out with. Great choices!

The suggestion to handle some ungraded cards is a really good one. Get a couple commons from sets you know you'll be collecting. For example, if you are planning on collecting the 1953 Bowman Color set (my favorite vintage issue), then pick up something like a Sal Maglie. It doesn't even have to be in a great shape, a good will do. Pop that in a card saver, and set it to the side. When you get that ungraded Mickey Mantle or Stan Musial, look at the Maglie next to the more expensive card under a jeweler's loupe (I like 10 x magnification). Compare the printing, the card stock, the edges and corners. Then, take out your black light, put the cards somewhere safe, and turn off the lights. If any alterations have been made to the card (added paper, recoloring), they should become evident under the black light.

Here's a good guide to get you started:

http://www.net54baseball.com/forum/c...terations.html

The "Judging the Authenticity of Pre 1930s Baseball Cards", written by our own David Cycleback, will also benefit you as a vintage collector. I highly recommend it. You can also buy a hard copy on Amazon, if you like. It's a great reference guide to have in hand if you go to a card show, and have questions about a card you might invest in.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/061...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

There are a lot of great people on this forum, and you won't find a more knowledgeable group of hobbyists anywhere. The advanced search, and Google (searching for "Net54baseball" and a topic), will help you find a lot of answers you seek. If you can't find the answer there, ask away. I think you'll find the people here are quite helpful.

Though I'm a relative neophyte compared to most of the members here, feel free to message me if you have questions. If I can't answer something outright, I should be able to point you in the right direction.

Above all else, have fun!

Bill

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 11-30-2013 at 03:31 AM.