Thread: Bccg
View Single Post
Old 05-24-2010, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I am not trying to beat the dead horse here but I have to say, even though I am a huge BVG supporter, and think ya'll are light years ahead of the biggest grading company when it comes to pre-war knowledge and consistency, this scale still has me a bit confused. Here is why:

BCCG 5 (Poor or Better) = BVG 1 or 1.5
BCCG 6 (Good or Better) = BVG 2 or 2.5
BCCG 7 (Very Good or Better) = BVG 3, 3.5, 4, or 4.5
BCCG 8 (Excellent or Better) = BVG 5, 5.5, 6 or 6.5
BCCG 9 (Near Mint or Better) = BVG 7, 7.5, 8 or 8.5
BCCG 10 (Poor or Better) = BVG 9, 9.5 or 10

When we look at the BCCG 5 the scale for BVG is anywhere from 3.5 grades difference to 4 grades difference. As the BCCG grade gets higher the BVG difference gets smaller. That seems a bit confusing to me. I was just taking 4 grades off of BCCG and thought all was good...I guess not We'll have to chat about this one in person again. Is it lunch time yet?

(I am sure you meant the BCCG 10 was NrMint/MT or better and not Poor to Better)
It all comes down to why the system was designed. It was specifically created for the Shop At Home Market, where all the lower tier slabbing companies were putting every card in a 10 holder, no matter what. We were asked for a system that could very quickly, and cost-effectively, give a rough overall grade to massive quantities of cards. The market was for modern cards in massive quantities, such as a retailer submitting 5,000+ LeBron James rookie cards or the like. Eventually, people started grading some BVG because they wanted the cheapest way to just know a card was authentic. But honestly, the original concept didn't even plan on more than a tiny handful of cards slabbed in BCCG holders less than Near Mint. It was never designed for vintage cards. The new cap on value will definitely help in correcting this.

As I've always stated, and tried to convince all our customers, vintage cards do not belong in BCCG holders. They belong in BVG holders. Now if you have 500 cheap Jeter RCs you want slabbed fast and cheap, we can talk BCCG.