View Single Post
Old 03-28-2003, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Default a very, very happy ending

Posted By: Julie

Remeber I told you about the three double-prints in the '52 Topps set--the J. Robinson, the Mickey, and--one other guy--and how, unlike most double prints (yes, they are all also high numebers), there are VERY noticable differences between the two versions of each?

And how Levi Bleam had send me a Jackie PSA 6, $1200, who looked like he had an Indian grandfather and a white guy back there somewhere, and whyen I beefed, he explained that what i wanted was variation 2--lotta little things sort of wrong with my ebony-skinmned Robinson, the most noticable of which are: a longer right black line around the protrait than left line, so the cross bar on top not only slopes, but also usually sticks out beyound the left bar and 2) a little black comma in the lower rigtht-hand corner?

So Levi shows me this gorgeous PSA 7 Robinson, $2000 (more than i wanted to pay--natch), and I say that's the one--but where's the little comma? Oh, he was so upset! HOLD THAT CHECK (he already had 1200 from me for the PSA 6 he'd sent that i didn't think was up to snuff)--I gotta send this card back to PSA; it's been altered. If you let the light glance off it just right you can see the difference in the texture in the lower right. (hmm, I', thinking, it doersn't bother me, and who KNOWS how many Jackies have their commas erased (THESE ARE ONLY THE VERY DARK SKINNED JACKIES--DON'T START LOOKING ON YOUR SORTA RED_SKINNED JACKIES). O.K., I said--keep my money. I want that Jackie--that one. The missing comma doesn't bother me a bit, and I never encapsulate cards. I can't guarantee no one ever will again, but i won't. It's a deal, and you'll get a deal;, says Levi, unless PSA wants to destroy it.

This is three months ago, He calls this morning. PSA insisted on putting a tiny ink x on the lower right-hand corner in back (I may send it to SGC, just to see what they say), but the gorgeous card is mine for $650! I get $550, a VERY slightly altered, beautiful '52 Jackie Robinson, and Bob's your uncle!

Mark wants it when I die, I think..sorry. It is one gorgeous card, let me tell you: flawless brilliant red bacground, plenty of gloss, ebony skin, perfect focus and centering...I feel almost as floaty at when I got my Peck and Snyder, encased in Mylar, from Jay Miller. Float, float!