View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 08:15 AM
Ethan Bou.sk.i.la

While some trends might point towards downward movement in the pricing curve, i argue that this trend is typical to any (non-recession proof) hobby. Nonetheless, this is ABSOLUTELY NOT the case hobby-wide. "MArket Softening" which was mentioned in the initial post by Bruce is relative. Look at t206s, t206 rare backs, tougher t207's, high grade hall of famers in the more "popular and widely traded sets", cracker jacks etc. Those who probably focus/collect these sets and types most probably do not feel a significant softening, if any. The hobby is like any other hobby in the world..supply and demand. Clearly the supply of people willing to part with their cash towards purchase of collectibles is lower in our current economic state. However the hobby is also changing in that the demand is shifting towards more popular sets and popular players.

If you were spending $XXXX amount of money a year on cards 2-3 yrs ago in a perceived never ending upward trend in the hobby, you had more monetary ability to purchase different types of cards and different players with confidence that your money was safely invested and you were buying with good value. If that budget was cut in half to today, this new dollar amount would cause you to prioritize, purchase less, and focus on "safer" purchases with better investment potential (causing many collectors to shift demand to t206's, hofers, etc keeping the market for them relatively stable (and what i forecast as stable for years to come!). As for a an e102 common in a 3..thats the market that gets hit the most. The common card in an abscure and not very popular set is going to get hit the hardest.

Look at t206 rare backs, goodwin champions, high grade hall of famers in ket sets in the hobby, and the most popular cards in our hobby. I see strength!!