Thread: Bobby Doerr RIP
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2017, 10:32 AM
Owen R

Quote:
Originally Posted by scooter729 View Post
I attended that game with my dad (now 82) - one of my favorite games I was able to ever attend with him. We were both lighting up at the sight of some of our favorites from all eras walking out on the field.

Never saw a video of it again since seeing it live that day - it was cool to watch again now - thanks for posting it....
I'm jealous! In all seriousness though, the red sox did a great job organizing that event, everything was amazing: players, music and all. If I could I would buy advance tickets to 150th celebrations that might happen in 2051 and 2062.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buythatcard View Post
Owen,
I am not a Red Sox fan but the video you shared was fantastic. I loved how all the players entered the field. I only wish there was a way to identify all of them. Seeing how many of the players have aged was very sad to watch. Highlight was seing Yastrzemski & Doerr. What was up with all of the players filming themselves with their phones?
Thanks for sharing!
It is sad seeing all the players aging, for the sox we have seen an entire generation of players retire recently, I'm not sure how many players we have left from our 2007 championship team. I'm not very old but I still "reminisce" about when Pedroia was the young guy of the team. I assumed the players were filming or photographing Mr. Doerr, Mr. Pesky and others, I might be wrong. I needed an excuse to watch it again anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
Nooo! What a class act right up til the end. Tommy Henrich once said "Bobby was one of the few who played the game as hard as he did and retired with no enemies."

I could be wrong, but is he the last of the prewar HOFers?
Yes, Red Schoendienst is now the oldest HOFer debuting in '45. We still have Chuck Stevens and Fred Caligiuri as our last pre-war ballplayers.

Owen