View Single Post
Old 09-25-2004, 12:23 PM
Administrator

Default Grading Companies (Overview & Opinions)

Posted By: Scottopotamus

1.) Which of three major companies do you use and trust the most and why?

I use SGC for my low grade T206 collection. They are consistent and don’t give out higher grades to preferred members. Their holders also add to the presentation appeal of vintage cards.

2.) Which of the above companies seems to have better resale if any in your opinion?

PSA seems to be the highest at present, but I believe that will change over the next few years. I look for SGC to take the top spot and GAI to improve quite a bit while PSA will drop down a notch or two.

3.) Do you feel graded cards have had a positive or negative effect on our hobby?

I view graded cards as an overall positive as it allows people to buy from sellers that they do not personally know. That being said, “off brand” grading companies (PRO, etc.) are a black eye on the hobby.

4.) Do you feel ultra high-end mega buck cards are a sound investment, or overpriced hype and marketing?

I don’t buy cards as an investment, but there does seem to be a lot of hype (especially on modern cards) to have a “1 of 1”.

5.) Does having your cards graded always assure you better profits when selling vs. non-graded?

I mainly buy cards and rarely sell, but seeing a graded card for sale allows me to raise my bids more than on a raw card.

6.) Which of the above companies is the most consistent in there grading in your opinion?

SGC. They are consistent from card to card and submitter to submitter.

7.) Do you feel any of the above companies are biased or give special treatment and considerations to larger customers of there’s. As compared to the avg. consumer?

I have no personal knowledge of this, but rumors persist of PSA giving special treatment to certain individuals.

8.) Do you ever feel graded cards and companies will go away or will they become even more prominent in our hobby?

We will decide this question by our actions. SGC, GAI, & PSA will be around, but the “off brand” grading companies will be used for more and more only for scamming activities, which seems to be their intended purpose.

Scottoptamus
My T206 Web Site

http://www.freewebs.com/scottopotamus