View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 01:26 PM
Zach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulidia View Post
I wouldn't say a good population of UK collectors but certainly some. Generally, the catch-all term over here for cards would be "cigarette cards".

Interestingly, the main sport for collectors here is soccer (or "football" as we call it over here) but turn of the century cigarette cards of famous footballers can be picked up for negligible prices and would be almost unheard of for a single cigarette card of a player to sell for close to $100. The main collecting interest wouldn't be cards but programs and, in my opinion, the market for vintage programs is more buoyant than in the US.

I should add that I previously sold some items of baseball memorabilia using my UK address via ebay.com ..... prices realized were typically considerably lower than had I used a US address. No doubt the fear of customs charges was a hindrance but, equally, wouldn't be surprised of some potential bidders equally asking the same questions you are asking and deciding not to bid. As a result, one or two buyers got great bargains.
When I get home I am going to put the pics up. It is a N162 King Kelly that could be VG-EX as long as it's not Auth. It costed me $1,000 only and it's great. What you say makes sense and explains why I got it for a good deal. Now I am even more excited. I was just worried because I got burned out of $25 by a Canadian seller awhile back, so it made me weary about going out of this country, but I took a risk and hope it pays off this time.