View Single Post
Old 04-26-2019, 06:27 PM
Ben Silva
Ben Sil.va

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
That's frickin' awesome. And so close on the vast majority of cards. What's your process for establishing your 'expected' column? I'm seeing visions of an old jeweler with a loupe attached to his eye.
I actually just eyeball them in my office with decent lighting . I don't spend a lot of time on it. I think with mid grade cards like this, you don't really need magnification. I'm really curious to see what I missed on the Munson card. I bet it has a wrinkle that I just didn't catch, but I swear that thing looked clean. I had about 10 of that card, and this looked to be the best.

edit: when I got back into collecting, I'd purchase multiple of the same card in different grades so that I could teach myself how grading worked. I have rainbows of 1986 Topps Nolan Ryan, 1981 Topps Harold Baines, 1986 Topps Traded Andres Galarraga, 1968 Bench, and 1968/1969 Nolan Ryan. I also purchased a huge lot of BGS graded 1986 Topps of various grades. I then spent a few hours just studying them and learning what gave them the grades that they were assigned. Since then, I've had literally thousands of graded cards pass through my hands and I've further refined my 'eye'. With each card I get, I look over it until I see what the major condition issues are. It's been a lot of fun, and I get excited when a card I have pops low like that Munson. I see it as a very good learning opportunity!

Last edited by bensie; 04-26-2019 at 06:33 PM.