View Single Post
Old 01-16-2018, 09:43 PM

Default PSA Grading of Unopened Packs from 1948 to 1970

I have recently found myself buying baseball and other sports packs from the 1940s to 1970. Few if any have corner holes and few also have broken gum. I have read the PSA grading standards for pack grading and see that corner damages are acceptable in many grades. But I also read that PSA was not grading wax packs with broken gum or gum that is floating within the pack and not attached to a card. Is that up to date and correct? I have seen some magnificent packs where the gum was broken and shouldn't think that should be the deciding factor on not to grade a pack. Corner holes could but don't always signal that a pack has been opened. I guess that PSA is concerned about perfect packs that are sent in for grading where the gum breaks in transit. I am also constantly shocked by the grades that some packs get and then when they are placed in a holder, they just do not look as nice as they had before. Just check some of the graded packs on eBay or those sold in many major auction houses. Being from the old school, I still prefer an ungraded pack but I do see the reasoning behind validating the authenticity of an unopened pack. Either way, I would love to hear more opinions.

Steve Sabow