View Single Post
Old 11-11-2014, 10:57 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Greg:
I have seen exactly one in 25 years of collecting pennants. It was gorgeous, and was a Cardinals Pennant in a very early Mastro Auction. It featured a Head shot of the Manager, and I am 90% sure it was Miller Huggins. If not him, then Bresnahan.

It was featured on a Catalog Page titled "Mini Find of Maxi Felt". I can remember that much, but not the details of the pennant itself (early dimentia setting in). Anyway, Mastro featured 10 amazing Oversized Pennants from the teens, most of which featured head-shots of the Managers. I remember the following being included...

Cardinals / Huggins or Bresnahan
Reds / Joe Tinker
Giants / John McGraw
Brooklyn / Bill Dahlen
Phillies / Red Dooin
Braves / George Stallings
Pirates / Fred Clarke
Boston Red Sox / Red Felt with simple "S O X" graphics
Chicago White Sox / Green Felt with Ornate Leaping Fielder
Chicago Cubs / Burgundy Felt with Swinging Bear

All were in pristine condition, and the Manager variations all sold for $6 - $12K a piece. I would love to know where these ended up going. I completely struck out at the time, but have since acquired the same Giants/John McGraw variation and a 1st Year Yankees Pennant with a Frank Chance Head Shot (as Manager). Mastro did not include the Frank Chance/Yankees version in their offering.

I seem to have misplaced the damn Catalogue, and the auction occurred too long ago to appear in Legendary's on-line archives. If anyone reading this still has the earliest of the Mastro Catalogs, and can post a photo image of this offering.... pleeeease do so, as it would be much appreciated!

Last edited by perezfan; 11-11-2014 at 11:27 AM.