View Single Post
Old 01-23-2012, 06:46 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaloFan View Post
A lot of guys I grew up with have cards that are worth nothing, but we have endless conversations about the hobby from when we were kids. "How much is that '86 Donruss Canseco?....$2?? Man, I had two of them when they were $100 a piece--I was a huge Canseco fan." or I'll hear something like this. "How much is that '90 Leaf Frank Thomas?..."$7? If you find one at that price buy me one. I wanted that card for years as a kid, but it was $80 at the time!"Craig
That is what drove off a lot of the collectors who got into cards during 1984-1995; the collapse of the modern market was a huge energy suck. I recall shows in the early1990s that were just electric with excitement because cards were just flying off the tables, but it was really a game of musical chairs--whoever ended up with the cards at the end lost badly. In fact, I used to do some local shows here in L.A. with vintage cards and it used to really chap my @$$ how people would blow past my stuff to buy 100-card stacks of modern rookies with the guy next door. I remember one show when the price of a UD Griffey finally topped the price of a 1971 Topps Ryan in near mint--just blew my mind because I could not believe that things sold in muti-card lots and even 100 card stacks could be valuable.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 01-23-2012 at 06:48 AM.