View Single Post
Old 06-24-2002, 09:48 PM
Administrator

Default Castillo's hitting streak

Posted By: Jaime Leiderman

From Yahoo Sports news...

"...Castillo was one of the last Marlins to leave the stadium following the end of his streak.

He was one of the first ones to arrive Sunday -- still disappointed with the streak's end but relieved that the pressures of chasing DiMaggio's mark are over.

``I want to forget about everything,'' Castillo said. ``I know now I'm going to be more relaxed.''

Castillo was out of the starting lineup for the series finale against Detroit, given the day off after briefly capturing the nation's attention with the longest hitting streak in 15 years.

``Nobody can imagine, unless you're in that position, the pressure,'' manager Jeff Torborg said.

When Castillo got home Saturday night, he refused to watch television, wanting to avoid replays of the streak's end. He didn't sleep well, either. And he was still down a day later.

``I like seeing the fans like that,'' he said, referring to the standing ovations before each at-bat. ``They wanted to see it keep going. I wanted to do everything I could to make the fans happy.''

Castillo has always had high expectations for himself. This is the same player who tried to fine himself two years ago after failing to put down a sacrifice bunt. After the game against Cincinnati, Castillo grabbed a fistful of money from his locker, walked into manager John Boles' office and threw the cash on the desk.

Castillo had two hits and three stolen bases in the game, but none of that mattered. He wanted to pay for the botched bunt, but Boles refused to take the money.

He put even more pressure on himself during the streak. He said it really started to build when the streak reached the mid-20s. He was having trouble sleeping, thinking so much about the upcoming game.

``I couldn't wait to get to the ballpark,'' he said.

Now he can't wait to start another streak. This time, he has a better appreciation of how difficult it would be to match DiMaggio's mark.

``I don't know how he did it,'' Castillo said."

So this is Castillo, the low Baseball IQ guy...

I don't know sh*t about baseball IQ but can't imagine a guy like Barry Bonds fining himself after failing...