View Single Post
Old 04-14-2017, 04:38 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

My experience (mjohnatgt) is that sellers get the best volume of sales when they're running a sale on the site. I run sales anywhere between 30-50% off, and consider offers down to the site minimum of 50% off. I accept probably 75% of all offers that come in, and I normally counter-offer any I don't accept. So if I buy a card to flip on site, I have to double or triple the price on it so that when it sells during a sale, I don't lose money on it. There are many times where those cards sell through eBay or Amazon at full price, even when I'm running a sale on COMC for 40% off. COMC sales do not propagate pricing to eBay or Amazon. So I could have a card with a regular price of $100 on COMC discounted to $60. It will actually show up on eBay as $110 because they embed the shipping/insurance cost on cards over $25 into the card price, so that they can claim they offer free shipping.

For the OP, obviously the guy who is charging you 3 cents extra is a jerk. Some people don't accept their minimum offers on every card because they don't want to lose money on a specific card. COMC keeps track of what you bought each card for, so you can see if you turn a profit on it. Some people hate taking a loss on any card; I have actually taken a loss of $100 on a card before on COMC. It was a Johnny Manziel auto card that I had sent to Beckett. So if someone offers me a half price offer on a card I spent more on, I might counter them to just over my purchase price.

On the flip side, I've bought many cards on COMC for 10% of what I have them listed for on COMC. Most of those I either bought in a liquidation "port" sale for 10-20% of the entire lot price so I have a lot of profit embedded, or I have picked them up when sellers run sales on their cards from 75-90% off. People have different strategies. I have no problem accepting half off offers for those cards.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.