View Single Post
Old 07-08-2016, 01:58 PM
Bob McLean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquarian Sports Cards View Post
As a fledgling promoter this is a very interesting and important topic to me.

Show attendees: What gets you through the door? Is it autograph guests; dealers you know; dealers with a national reputation; door prizes; free admission?

Dealers: what attracts you to a show? Location; an admission charge; low booth rates; autograph guests; good customer service?

I'd love to hear thoughts from both sides of the table as my answers may be different. Part of the reason we are doing our show is a reaction to numerous unsatisfying show experiences as a dealer. I can correct the things that bothered me, but I can't do anything about things I never thought of!
As a dealer I like to see the show costs kept down for customers. Admissions are not something I like, neither are autograph guests, although they can attract some folks. Being a card guy, that doesn't help my bottom line. Many of the autograph seekers are not going to buy cards, but some do both.

Location as in table placement at shows can be important at Mall shows, not so much at big shows like Fanatics and the Nationals. People will find you there regardless of where you are.

I don't mind paying more for booth space at a good show, but some shows that squeeze as many tables into a tiny space just to max profits to subsidize autograph guest costs irritate me greatly. I won't name the show, but there is one that I set up at that you don't have room for backup at all. For that reason I am considering dropping that one from my schedule.