View Single Post
Old 07-08-2016, 12:20 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

As a collector:

everything that has been said has been right on. I'll add that KNOWLEDGEABLE dealers make a heck of a difference as well. I prefer to talk to dealer/collectors. I understand the need, yes NEED, for the flippers and the sellers of sealed wax boxes that retail for more than a new car. They are there to help promote the FUTURE of the hobby. I might not get all the hype around it but it is what will fuel the younger generations of collectors, whether I get it or not.

I don't get to make it to that many shows that I don't set up at. If I can't find someone to talk sports/card history or it is overstuffed with Auto'd Jerseys and mass produced pennants, I make a round or two and bail.

I don't want to sound like a collecting snob. Far from it. I collect stuff from all sports and all years. Prewar lacrosse to modern Astros and everything in between.

As a dealer: I grew up in the show promoting business. You name it, I've seen it.

Discounts on multiple tables/booths
Arrange the room so that the autograph lines don't block dealer tables
Some sort of breakfast? Not needed but much appreciated (Thanks Rich)
Promote! Promote! Promote! Set up a mailing list at the entrance. This will be your best resource. Ask other dealers that will be attending your show if they could contact people on their lists as well. Many forums have event calendars. Facebook, Twitter and the likes will help as well.

Lighting is important. Check with the hotel/venue to see if YOU can make any improvements.

A little out there: IF it is a multi day show you might be able to get the hotel, if applicable, to swing a room gratis for a hospitality suite for the dealers to mingle after the show. I would believe the hotel would be more open to this if you could guarantee them X many rooms will be occupied during your show.