View Single Post
Old 10-23-2014, 08:06 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
I agree with you, Mike.
Realize that the printing technology employed at that time was incapable of printing 10 condition baseball cards. I just think the whole idea of bumping a card up because it was printed on an ancient machine is ridiculous.
The technology of the time- especially by the 70's was entirely capable of printing things perfectly. The registration issues and print flaws are result of cutting corners to make the job cheaper.

Topps did a few things in design that made it easier, especially on the backs.

My first job I ran on the press was registered almost perfectly - Probably within a .005-.007 of an inch. The second was a bit better, maybe one color off by that much the others closer. The guy who ran the 24" press was almost always exactly registered. The little targets on the margins looked almost black before he ran the black layer, and no hints of the individual colors.

But if we'd been trying to make cardboard freebies as cheaply as possible, it would have been quicker and less accurate.

We had a calendar from a paper company that had the slogan "Want it good, fast and cheap? Pick two and call me back"

Steve B