View Single Post
Old 01-19-2018, 10:15 AM

No bad experiences, but several really good ones:

Met Wayne Gretzky 5 times - signed every time, more than one photo a few times. Once while working as an intern for the NY Islanders, I sat and talked to him for 15 minutes and then sat next to him while he was interviewed by the NY times. The only thing he ever said no to was when I asked him for a game used stick.

Basically every hockey player I've ever met has been great - and I've met hundreds. Every single Islander from the glory days (80-83) would sign for anyone at the practice rink or in the parking lot after the game.

played golf with Colton Orr 3 times - nice but soft spoken.

If you haven't met and hung out with Denny McClain you're missing something. he is a regular at card shows and he is the nicest funniest guys you would ever want to meet. one time I spent over an hour with him.

Met OJ in parking lot at Shea Stadium in 1974. Still have the card signed in ball point pen. Super nice even though he had to catch the bus - took the time.

Met Dr. J in vegas - did not ask for autograph or picture but spoke to him for several minutes - drunk but friendly.

Pete Rose was great - talk forever. This was at memorabilia shop in Vegas.

Derek Jeter - Was in Vegas for fight right after 2009 WS. Lucky enough to get into HBO pre fight party. Jeter walks in with his parents. Sudden hush in the room like Jesus just appeared. Everybody was intimidated and no one approached him - except me. I used my favorite line which basically nobody can turn down -"Hi Derek, my name is Rich and I really appreciate the opportunity to say hello." He had been keeping his head down and was giving off the stay away vibe, but I got him to stop. He shook my hand, perked up and genuinely became very friendly. I told him I am a die hard Met fan but always admired him and the way he played. We chatted for a few more minutes, I thanked him again, shook hands, and let him on his way. No one else approached him. the Yankee fans I was with were, and still are, in awe.

At that same party I met both Mayweathers - both great, Sr. was bombed but spoke to everybody. Also Jerome Bettis, CC Sabbathia, and the cast of Entourage. All as friendly as could be. only DB at that party was Will Farrell - too cool for everybody.

Bobby valentine - several times, remembers your name and will talk baseball all day.

Omar Minaya - super nice and will talk baseball all day.

Have more stories but you get the idea - I think it's all about being polite.