View Single Post
Old 07-22-2006, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Default Recognizing Fake Goudeys

Posted By: Drouillard

Hello Everyone,

This is my first posting, I've been collecting vintage for about a year and I could use some help.

I purchased the Bill Dickey card on the left about two weeks ago on eBay as vintage and I'm pretty sure its a fake. The card on the right I purchased six months ago and I believe it is authentic. (I'm hoping that the pictures appear on the post, they are vissible in photobucket, but do not appear when I press preview). The fake Goudey is the right size, but is a little thinner than the card on the left which makes me now believe that it is a reprint. I don't see any tampering between the words Goudy Cum Co. and Boston on the back of the card. The seller of the card on the right had over 1500 positives and listed the card as Vintage, although he didn't advertise the card as a 1933 Goudey (this is a flag I ignored).

I'm not upset about paying too much for a fake, because it is a good lesson; I just don't want to be fooled again. You cannot see a card's thickness in an ad. So, I'm looking for other tips to spot fakes. I did use your search engine and learned that the red stripe at the bottom of the card bleeds through on originals. I assume this means there is a shaddow at the bottom of the back of the card, not actual red ink. I have also read a posting where a player's bat or arm will extend through the margin of the card on originals. Of course this doesn't apply to my Bill Dickey cards. I do notice that the artwork in the grass at Dickey's feet is more defined in the fake with thin diagonal lines. In contrast the card on the right is solid green. I wonder if this would be a clue?

If you have any other ideas on how to spot fake Goudeys on eBay listings I would appreciate it.

I've enjoyed reading your postings and I've learned a lot in the last week from discovering this site. I hope that I can become a help to some of you in the future.