View Single Post
Old 06-21-2015, 03:36 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
First of all, it was Orioles1954 who said "Scherzer threw the ball inside and missed the zone by about a foot.", so I was not responding to you.
Second, it doesn't matter where he was trying to throw it, and of course I recognize it was a bad pitch as did everyone else. That is irrelevant to whether the rule applies and whether Tabata deliberately tried to get hit. Are you suggesting that the rule should apply if Scherzer tried to throw a brushback pitch intentionally and just missed "his spot" by an inch or two, but since he threw a slower breaking pitch that didn't break and missed his target by a lot the rule somehow does not apply? That makes little sense.

Again, hats off to Scherzer all around. He probably does not have a right to rely on that rule being enforced, especially as it is a judgment call, but it would have been nice to see it and would not have cheapened anything had it been enforced, IMO. Personally, I think it was bush league of Tabata. I'm confident if that would have been Drysdale or Gibson out there in the 60's, Tabata could count on getting plunked a time or four thereafter. Hell Pedro and Randy Johnson likely would do the same. Time will tell.
I agree with you regarding the rule. Tabata did not try to get out of the way of the pitch. My beef is you advocating that Scherzer plunk the guy for doing it. That and using the Goldschmidt fiasco to help with your reasoning of how it would go for the Pirates.

For one thing, Goldschmidt was hit by a curve ball by a terrible pitcher by accident. A pitch that he seemed to move the wrong way on and actually moved his hands into the path of the ball. A curve ball. Not intentional. Hitting McCutchen on the back with a fastball....not the same thing. I understand why it happened, but to somehow equate that the Pirates had it coming because a curve ball from a terrible pitcher got away from him and Goldschmidt made the unlucky split second decision to move his hands INTO the path of the ball? Again, my bad.

For another thing, how in heck does breaking up a perfect game on a pitch that the pitcher himself took responsibility for even remotely call for your endorsement for him to get hit? As much as I can't stand Jose Tabata, he does not deserve to get hit for that. For being bad at Baseball, sure. But not for that.

And my general angst at the topic is not geared towards you. It is more for the media talking head types with a general case of panty-bunchitis over the issue.

Tom C