View Single Post
Old 12-26-2008, 08:18 AM
Administrator

Default I've Completed the 1887 N172 Detroit Team Set !!

Posted By: Joann

Oooooh my. GOOD. FOR. YOU!!! Congratulations Joe. Thanks so much for posting all the scans here. They are a sight to see, and also educational for me.

I thought that the whole Old Judge series was something of a disorderly affair with its multiple poses and thousands of versions and variations. It all seemed so fly-by-the-seat-of-the-pants in terms of how this set was made and issued.

Now I see that all of the Detroiters were not only all in sequence, but each player was also within a sub-sequence (except for the final Thompson). I would have thought that the Detroiters and even individual players would have scattered numbers, with the variations added along the way in different print runs.

But do the scans above basically mean that the manufacturers (and, presumably, the Old Judge people) had already picked the many different players and poses before they even started printing at at all? How else would each player occupy a sequential set of numbers unto himself?

Sorry to be so ignorant, but I never realized that the numbering system was so methodical.

What a cool, cool, cool post on so many levels. Both for the awesome accomplishment of it and also for what it lays out and demonstrates so elegantly.

Joann