View Single Post
Old 08-22-2006, 12:02 PM
Administrator

Default T5 Jackson - $47,853 vs. $182,425

Posted By: Corey R. Shanus

The exact same T5 Jackson in the Mile High Auction sold in July 2000 for $6,412. The auction house was REA, at that time a division of Mastro Auctions. The $182,425 reported price realized by Mile High means that in six years the card increased in value by 2,745%. Since that time, the highest other price appreciations in the vintage card market to my knowledge have been the T210 Jackson and the Baltimore News Ruth, each appreciating perhaps 900%, and even that might be stretching it. So what this means is that for the T5 Jackson to have been legitimately sold by Mile High at that price, TWO disinterested bidders with no connection to the consignor or the auction house had to have been ready, willing and able to buy at a price reflecting a price appreciation about three times greater than any other vintage card has known to have appreciated in the same time period. Is this possible? Yes, but to call it extraordinary could only be described as an understatement. For me I would be a lot more comfortable with the whole thing if I knew who the buyer and underbidder were. I also would be a lot more comfortable if it were confirmed that the underbidder was the winning bidder of the T5 Jackson that Mastro Auctions just sold.