View Single Post
Old 02-16-2007, 07:16 AM
Administrator

Default Hobby Retrospect

Posted By: Dave

your last post might already be coming true. Has anyone noticed an increase in T206 auctions since Novemebr 2006 ? I have been casually monitoring the Ebay market for various card sets, and it kind of looks like everyone is trying to sell "T" cards now. I searched one sellers auctions after bidding on one card he had for sale and discovered he was only just selling that one card......he specialized in apparently selling used appliances and auto parts. I've also noticed a quick turnaround rate on some cards. these buyers get buy them on ebay or here in the BST, and then they put them back up for auction in 2-3 weeks at an increase in price. I think there is a flood of bad T206 cards on Ebay every week. It really is a dumping ground for alot of people crap. Here and there I find good cards or cards on my want lists, but just perusing the auctons today I noticed a lot of low grade T206's, and a lot of ungraded P-F cards.
Vintage is really all that has been selling consistently since the "insert card" craze began in the early 90's. I remember how this local dealer was buying all these 1992 Bowman boxes thinking he was going to really cash in on them in 10-15 years.....no such luck pilgrim. the T206 Hall of Famers I bought back in 1992 have increased in value 5-10 times.
It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out....thus we have a flood of T205, T206, T207...etc, and an increase in fraud and counterfieting by those unscrupulous persons trying to make a quick buck at the expense of vintage card collectors.
Ebay has definitely changed the collecting world though both positively and negatively. It has certainly opend up collecting to the world market.