View Single Post
Old 02-06-2018, 04:39 PM

I picked up a large grouping of letters from the late 1800's of which most dealt with the early oil industry in Pennsylvania. However, within the group were a couple of letters relating to base ball. This letter was written by John O. McClintock. McClintock became an attorney and also an investor in the oil industry. He also played catcher for a strong regional team, the Meadville Mutuals. This letter, however, had to do with some humorous activity in a game in 1876 between the Allegheny team and the Philadelphia Athletics of the newly formed National League. Wish I had access to a newspaper that might better explain why they were trying to arrest Russ McKelvy (who played a couple of short stints in the National League).

July 20, 1876

"...the news I have to communicate are briefly these: last Monday morning John Scheafnocker, one of our constables ... went down to Allegheny and just as McKelvy was going into his position to play ball, arrested him and was going to drag him off to the train and bring him up here again but in that he was defeated. An alderman was there who took temporary bail for the appearance of McKelvy at his office at 7 o'clock of that evening. As soon as that was done, McK stepped back to his position and went to work and pitched against the famous Athletics of Phila. The score was 4 to 0 in favor of the Athletics. They got 8 base hits on McK and the Alleghenys got 7. The 4 runs were made in the 4th inning. At 7 o'clock McK went before the alderman, waived a hearing, and gave bail for his appearance here in August. Madison Bunce made the complaint upon which the warrant was issued. I may go down to Pittsburgh next week. If I do I will see what the situation of affairs is...."

Rob M.

page 1.jpg

page 2.jpg