Thread: 10s
View Single Post
Old 04-02-2019, 09:59 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Lately I have had fun buying some of my favorite 80s stars in PSA 9. This is strictly for fun. I don't have any delusions of grandeur.

There are a few cards that I have contemplated purchasing in grade 10. The thread on the 2011 Update Trout made me wonder something about PSA (or whatever TPGer) 10s. How many years would you have to go back before finding 10s was at least a somewhat significant achievement? I have never paid much attention to grading or pop reports. I see cards such as the PSA 10 Donruss and Upper Deck Griffey rookies continue to climb. I have longed snickered a little at how many of those cards are out there, but in looking on Ebay and other places I see Griffeys for sale, I notice that compared to the number of 9s available, the 10s are fewer. I am not suggesting rarity or anything close to that by any means, but maybe 30 years out (that sounds weird to say) 10s aren't just super easy to obtain.

So, how far back do you think you have to go before 10s are at least somewhat "tough?"

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Robert, I think like you. I buy 9s and crack them. Frankly, a 9 usually looks perfect to me.... people don't typically buy 10s for fun, they buy them as investments.

I think Bagwell said it well...if you can get a 10 at a reasonable price, it's usually a good idea to grab it, particularly of a RC....but that means stomaching the purchase price to begin with.