View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 07:35 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Scott-It might be reasonable for someone to write "Conlon photo" on the back. However it is NOT reasonable for them to replicate Conlon's signature within a circle over and over again. Why would they take the time to do that? It is not like they are little kids writing Mickey Mantle on a baseball card(trying to match his sig.).
To me, if they are forgery attempts, they are poor attempts. Conlon was a man of few pen-strokes, sometimes even looking like he skipped a letter. Whoever wrote his name on these questionable photos actually added extra strokes in most cases. As I said, I think it was probably done shortly after the Sporting News acquired the photos, and someone just wanted to i.d. them as Conlons, giving a reasonable effort at duplicating Conlon's style, but not taking the time to actually forge them. Maybe whoever did it was a Conlon fan and thought it more fun to use his style in id'ing the photos, than to simply print 'Conlon photo' on the backs.

I agree completely with you in that I wish it didn't happen, but not much can be done about it now, and while it could be a modern forgery attempt, I don't think that's the case.