View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 07:06 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

I agree with Richard, Thompson's "shot heard round the world" would probably fetch a huge sum if they could authenticate it. There was a show on TV about trying to track it down. I can't remember what channel or what it was called. The consensus was that a nun from upstate New York came back to visit her family in Brooklyn I think. She was a huge baseball fan and managed to make it to the game in the left field seats. They said she ended up with it and had it for a while but they think she just gave it away or to some kids to play with.[/QUOTE]

There is a book about hunting down the Thompson ball and which the above documentary is based on. It is called "Miracle Ball" and us one one my favorite baseball books. Think CSI meets Ken Burnes baseball. I would highly recommend it to any fan.
As far as the conclusion to the ball the nun never revealed the ball to anyone until after her death. Then her worldly possessions, which was kept in a shoe box, was given to her sister. Her sisters sons recall their mom throwing the box into a landfill in California. Talk about the intimate find dumpster diving.

As far as prices realized I think Fisk's ball was just auctioned off in REA last spring. I forget the final price realized.

Drew

Last edited by almostdone; 01-20-2015 at 07:06 PM.