View Single Post
Old 01-03-2005, 05:31 AM
Administrator

Default Something to think about in regards to a cards condition

Posted By: Chris

John, I basically agree with what you are saying except I am of the opinion that dealers do charge us for grading. They are making money on giving a card a specific grade. Some of these dealers sell a ton of cards and make a ton of money and many of them are experts in their own right. ALL and I do mean ALL dealers are capable of assigning the correct grade with at least the same consistency as grading companies yet they don't. That is why I personally do feel grading companies are good for the hobby. Especially for internet sales. Plus to reitterate my point, We seem to expect alot more from PSA for grading our cards than what a dealer grades it. PSA assigns a grade just as any dealer assigns a grade. I guess I just find it odd how people will bash grading companies and claim they are helpinng certain dealers out(and that may be the case) but when a dealer sells a raw card of their own and overgrades it there is a lot less if any bashing and they are doing the exact same thing. They are helping themselves out by making more $. I can't tell you how many times I have seen someone give a card a specific grade and even though they have a clear scan and it is obvious it is well below that grade it sells for more than it should. Kind of the same theory as the people who do buy the slab and not the card. They are buying this dealers grade and not the card.